Thursday, August 1, 2013

Wine Wednesday

Unfortunately, my “local” Trader Joe’s is 15-20 miles away in a neighborhood I tend to avoid.  When I do go, I try to pick up a few bottles of wine which look interesting, and that I don’t typically see at Safeway or BevMo.  Of course, BevMo has such a huge selection, I have a difficult time remembering what is there… on the plus side, I know I am paying less for it at TJ’s.

This afternoon I was in a “bubbly” mood, but didn’t feel like paying too much for a bottle of sparkling wine.  I found Albero Cava Brut.

Image

If you are unfamiliar with Cava, it is a Spanish sparkling wine.  Because it isn’t produced in the “Champagne” region it can’t technically be called a Champagne, but it is made in the champenoise traditional method…  So yeah, basically Champagne.

For about $8 I found a light, crisp, slightly sweet sparkling white.  Although I had it on its own this evening, I can see this “champagne” as an excellent mixer for mimosas (or mimostleys depending on what you are looking for).  My preferred champagne for many years now is Domaine Chandon… but I always hate mixing it with anything because it is so tasty.  This sparkly wine is a perfect low-cost substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment